Useful address » Tourism
The province was heavily damaged during the 1988 Armenian earthquake.
The province is served by the Stepanavan Airport.
CultureBetween the 11th and 13th centuries, the monasteries of Haghpat, Sanahin, Kobayr and Bardzrakash in Dsegh served as centers of Armenian culture, theology and science. Scholars such as Hovhannes Imastaser, Grigor Tuteordi, Davit Kobayretsi, Grigor Magistros worked in these monasteries. The House-museum of Hovhannes Tumanyan in Dsegh is among the notable cultural structures in Lori.
Fortresses and archaeological sites
- Kaytson Castle of the 10th century,
- Kayan Fortress of the 10th century,
- Akhtala Fortress of the 10th century,
- Lori Fortress of the 11th century,
- Sanahin Bridge of 1195,
- Yaghdan Bridge of the 13th century
- Sedvi Fortress of the 13th century.
Churches and monasteries
- Odzun Church of the 5th century.
- Saint George Church of Sverdlov of the 6th century,
- Horomayr Monastery of the 7th century near Odzun,
- Saint Gregory the Illuminator's Church of Dsegh, 7th century,
- Hnevank Monastery, 7th-12th centuries,
- Surp Hovhannes Monastery of Ardvi, 8th-13th centuries,
- Sanahin Monastery of the 10th century,
- Haghpat Monastery of the 10th century,
- Church of the Forty Martyrs of the 11th century,
- Khorakert Monastery of 1251 in Jiliza,
- Surp Nshan Monastery of Sedvi near Kachachkut of the 13th century,
- Church of the Holy Mother of God of Vanadzor, opened in 1831,
- Saint Nikolai the Wonderworker Russian Church of Amrakits, opened in 1848,
- Gyulagarak church of 1876.
- Russian Church of the Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary of Vanadzor, opened in 1895.
- Avetik Sahakyan (1863–1933), Armenian politician of the First Republic of Armenia.
- Stepan Zoryan (1889-1967), Armenian writer.
- Suren Aghababyan (1922-1986), Soviet Armenian literary critic.
- Sos Sargsyan (1929-2013), prominent actor, People's Artist of the Soviet Union.
- Artavazd Peleshyan, director and filmmaker.
- Shavarsh Karapetyan, Soviet Armenian fin-swimmer.
- Eduard Nalbandyan, Armenian politician.
- Sergei Alifirenko, Olympic gold-medalist pistol shooter.
- Tigran Sargsyan, Armenian politician.
- Stepan Sarkisyan, freestyle wrestling Olympic silver-medalist.
- Armen Gyulbudaghyants, prominent footballer and football manager.
- Gor Mkhitarian, Armenian rock musician and singer.
- Vic Darchinyan, Armenian professional boxer, three-division world champion.
- Roman Mitichyan, Armenian-American professional mixed martial artist, actor and stuntman.
- Nareh Arghamanyan, Armenian pianist, winner of the 2008 Montreal International Musical Competition.
Northern Lori as seen from the Pushkin mountain pass
The village of Lermontovo
Somkheti mountains and Karmir Aghek village
Location of Lori within Armenia
and largest city
|• Governor||Artur Nalbandyan|
|• Total||3,799 km2 (1,467 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AMT (UTC+04)|
|ISO 3166 code||AM.LO|